Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Another Catching Up- This is becoming a bad habit.

All right. So it has been a while again. We have been really busy the past few weeks.

I picked up a couple of extra days at work. We visited my mother-in-law for a memorial and remembrance at homecoming at church. I am in overdrive helping my son finish his online school program so he can be done and have his diploma in hand so he can join the Marines by the end of September. We have been trying to get garden work done and prepare for the fall garden.

I am still the best seller at work. We have a contest that will be starting this weekend regarding sales. I fully expect to win it. Actually, the manager and assistant manager both told me they expect me to win it, as well. The manager is not eligible, but the asst. man. is. But right now since she is still new, she is trying to get things in shape and isn't spending a lot of time with the customers yet. And compared to the other two who work on the lot with me? No challenge!

My son found out that there is a vacancy in the enrollment for the Marines at the end of September. It is the same MOS as he selected and if we can get his diploma before then, he can get signed up and go then. The kid who was supposed to go can't pass the PT test, so he can't go yet. Apparently, there are a couple of other kids who might also vie for the spot, so I am helping him get through his last two courses for school. It's only two, shouldn't take too long, right? Well, it obviously can. It's English. And a ton of writing. For a kid that likes texting because he can use text lingo and shorten everything. A kid who barely passed his first two English classes. He hates it. Will do math and science all day long, just please don't make him write an essay! So I get to help. A lot. I have been spending hours a day for days to help. I am so glad my husband is willing to let me help and help me with other things that need done as well. My poor dog and cats think I have abandoned them, I have paid so little attention to them lately.

We ripped all the corn and beans out of the garden. We already burned part of what we ripped out and are waiting on the corn to finish drying so we can burn it too. I hope to be able to do that this weekend. Then we can pull out the vining plants and let them dry so we can burn them up as well. If you are wondering why I want to burn instead of compost, I shall tell you. Since we ended up with an insect problem and had some powdery mildew, I want to get rid of it completely instead of trying to cook it out in the compost and risk it again next year. With our humid climate, funguses and mildews are an ongoing problem or concern each year already. I will also be harvesting a lot of tomatoes today that I will put in the dehydrator. Mostly cherry and pear tomatoes. They are good rehydrated and put on pizza and in sauces for pasta.

It has been very hot and humid here the past couple of days. A few days last week were downright beautiful. We had the windows open several nights last week. Possibility of rain today and tomorrow. I hope it does as what is left in the garden could desperately use it.

We had the truck in the shop again at the end of last week. This time we don't know what is wrong with it. The shop couldn't figure it out either. Basically we were told to let it get worse so we can figure it out. When they had the truck (for three days), it not once acted up. Of course. We are not sure if it is a sensor starting to go bad or if it's the transmission or who knows what. We had the transmission flushed and refilled because originally we thought the tranny was the problem. Now we are not so sure. Since all we can do is describe what we think is happening and the truck didn't do it when the shop had it, they couldn't diagnose it. So we brought it home. And while my husband has been riding to work, when we did drive it, it didn't do it for us either. I would wish miracle cure and that it righted itself, but I know that is not how it works.

I have had several long talks with my husband lately. I know, I know. Just what a guy wants, right?!? I am glad that he did though. I have been stressing over a lot of things recently and needed some help to get my head straight. I wanted to talk to him and not some girl friend because I wanted advice and help, not sympathy. Men and women have their strengths and weaknesses. I needed the strength from my husband, not an "I know how you feel". He helped me figure a few things out and I am starting to feel much better and not quite so stressed. As time passes, I know that the stress will go away altogether. And that is why men and women are different. We need to be to work together and help each other.

Two Saturday's ago, I had the dog back at the vet. I got home from work on Friday night and was his usual self. Jumping all over, head down butt up tail wagging shaking his whole body happy. He followed me through the house while I was doing my get home routine. Then I took him outside and he was just fine again. About that time my husband rolled in. Puppy started his whole greet routine and was still just fine. My husband went to change out of his work clothes. Dog and I followed. He changed, we came back out in the kitchen to our customary chairs and dog limped a few steps to the edge of the kitchen and stopped. Holding his paw up. He did eventually come a bit into the kitchen but wouldn't put any weight on his paw. I tried to look and he didn't like that so I left him be a few minutes. Then I picked him up and held him while my husband looked at it. Nothing to see. Then he ran through the house like nothing was wrong when a jet flew over, barking his head of like usual. I guess he has to let me know there is a jet just in case I can't hear it. Or feel it, they shake the whole house. Then back to limping. I am pretty sure dogs don't fake injuries. Off and on all evening. Same thing the next morning for the first two hours. Then I got him down on the floor with his paw turned over. Oh my. Redness, swelling, growling when I touched it. So I called the vet and they said bring him in. So I got my workout for the day getting him out to the car and in it. Then I got my next workout for the week once I got inside and he started going for every animal in the place. He likes cats but likes to chase them. He does not like dogs any more. Thanks rat dog from across the road. Plenty of dogs at the vet's office. Finally they put us in the exam room. I put him up on the table and this little gal who must still be in high school comes in and says Hi! I'm Dr. something-or-another-I- didn't-catch since I was still stuck on the fact that she looked younger than my son. She was competent and smart though. I pinned the dog to me so she could look without any chance of puppy biting her. Turns out he had bitten his nails again- Something I am actively trying to get him to stop doing. But instead of the problem being that he bit it down to the quick, he split it. She asked if we had carpet. Why yes we do. And rugs everywhere since he will NOT walk on tile or linoleum. So she deduced that he caught his split nail on the rug and pulled the tendon. That is why he had redness and inflammation. She tidied the nail up. Gave me some anti-inflammatory meds that are steroid free and sent me on my way. To the front desk and the dogs that my dog wanted to eat. I paid and got my ass outside, thus ending the workouts needed for the rest of the month. Still had to lift the dog into the suv and out again once we got home. Which I accomplished. Then went to work to sweat like a pig and lift plants and trees all day. Man, you would think I would be in shape. Although, as my husband tells me, round is a shape.

We are still doing good on keeping our sugar consumption down. We are trying to eat smaller, more frequent meals to avoid over-eating. That seems to be going better for my husband as when I am at work, I really don't eat the whole time I am there. I have a six hour shift, therefore, no required lunch break. Which I am not fussed about as I am hot while I am there and not interested in eating anyway. I do, however, drink an entire bottle of Pedialyte when I work. In addition to two or three bottles of water to stay hydrated.

That seems to be the bulk of what has happened the last few weeks. I am hoping that, other than getting this school work done, the next week or so is uneventful. I won't plan on it as this year seems to be our year. For stuff. I guess we are getting it all out of the way at once. Which, hey! I am A-Okay with.

P.S. Tonight for supper is salmon patties. I have no idea what we are having with it yet. Just that we are having salmon patties.

P.P.S. I am thankful for my husband. I am every day. He is a blessing to me and I feel so lucky to have him and his strength and wisdom.




No comments:

Post a Comment