Friday, December 11, 2015

Love, But Not the T.V.

We do not watch much tv. We do not even have cable. WHAT?!? GASP! SPUTTER, CHOKE, COUGH! How can you possibly live without cable you ask. In short, easy. We do have an antenna that picks up local channels and PBS. That's good enough for us. Even with a teenager in the house, we have managed just fine without it.

That doesn't mean that we never watch any tv. My son watches tv virtually every day. My husband and I can go days, even weeks without ever turning the tv on. But then there will be something that caught our attention and that we would like to watch.

Last night, that was The Coat of Many Colors. It was based on the true story of Dolly Parton. I admire Dolly Parton a lot. She is a classy lady. You do not hear scandals about her. You don't hear stories or gossip about the "Latest Stupid Thing She Did" like so many other celebrities. She knows how to behave.

The movie was really good. As I told my husband last night, my eyes sure leaked a lot, lol. There were tears from joy and tears from sadness. If you have the opportunity to see the movie at some point, I would recommend it.

I will not be a spoiler for it in case you have the chance to see it. I do want to say something about it though.

The message of love and family was huge. And I believe it. Love and family can get you through anything, as long as you stay together. It does not have to be physically. My family lives quite a distance from me. I still talk to them and know that I can count on their love and support in anything in my life. The same as I would give them.

What about your family? Do you have that love? Do you have any connection with your family? When life gets hard and tough, and it does without fail at some point, do you have the love of your family to fall back on? Please note, family can also mean the ones that you choose to be your family. We are all born with a family of some sort. We all also have the option of expanding that family with love and friendship in our hearts. Just like in the movie we watched last night.

Be willing to open your heart and forgive when necessary. Be willing to be forgiven when you need it. Greif and guilt can do a lot to tear a family apart. Love is what continues to hold it together. Don't give that love up. Don't let it fade. Show your spouse you still care just as much now as you did when you first got together. Hopefully you know your spouse. What small treasure can you give to them to tell them you love them? And if your first thought is to go out and buy something, well, you have it all wrong. I mean a true treasure. You put the kids to bed tonight so she can enjoy a bubble bath. You take the trash out so he can have a few extra minutes with the kids. You do the dishes so he or she can have a break from it. Give a back rub. Give a foot rub. Hold hands. Kiss. The ideas can be endless.

When times get tough, understand just how much that love will help you and yours. Make sure you have that strong foundation in place now. It will be hard to build a foundation like that in stressful times. Build it now so you have something firm to stand on later.

No comments:

Post a Comment