Tuesday, July 10, 2018

When it Rains, It Pours

Wow, it's been a rough few days.

On Friday, my husband and I went in for his morning appointment. It was the measurement, fitting, instructions, waivers and all of that for the teeth he was getting pulled. Time for all the questions that we had come up with. All of that went really well. We went to Wallyworld to get the stuff they told us we would need for at least the first two weeks. We came home. We had a really good lunch since I knew that my husband would not be able to eat dinner. We got a couple of things done, but not much because I didn't want to work him too hard since he was getting teeth pulled.

We left about an hour or so before the afternoon appointment to make sure we had time to get there. Good thing as there was some road construction about two blocks from the office that was not there that morning. We did make it with a few minutes to spare. We decided to smoke once more before we went in while watching traffic. It was backed up forever and we were talking about how we hoped it was gone before we had to leave. We watched a truck pull in to the back of the building with mowers. Then this noise... At first we thought that was fast, how did they get the mowers running that fast? Oh NO!! It was our truck!!!!

So, out we jump and pop the hood. The serpentine belt had shredded. Really? Right now?

In we go so my husband can check in. We know we need to call the insurance to schedule a tow. We figure out where we want to take it. My husband said he will call his buddy. He pulls out his phone and started to pull the guy's number up and they called him back. He started to head back and realized I needed the phone number so I can call this guy. I was checking our insurance online to make sure we had the towing add on, which I was pretty sure of, but just double checking cuz that's what I do.
I open his phone back up to call the guy. Only to realize he had pulled him up by his first name, not full name and there were three to choose from. I asked the girl at the front desk to go back and ask which one I am supposed to call. They were already working on him. These folks waste no time! I head outside and start at the top. Nope, not it. I called the second one. Nope, wrong number. Third call was no answer. So I called again. I can be quite persistent. Bingo! Got an answer and it was the right person. He can take the truck today, but can't work on it until Monday. I told him I had no idea what time we would be there as my husband is getting his teeth worked on and I have to call a tow truck. Who would be bringing us with him. Of course, I have no idea how we will get home. He told me no problem, we could all figure something out.

I go back inside and ask the girl at the front desk how long this typically takes. She said about an hour. Ok, back out to call the insurance and see how long for a tow truck. The phone call was easy, the gal was really helpful and polite. She made sure that we were safe and not in any immediate danger and set everything up. About an hour they should be there.

My husband came out from the back and still no tow truck. We had to wait almost 20 minutes after he was done for the truck to get there. At least we were inside as it was pretty hot outside. The tow truck guy finally shows up. He gets the shredded belt off and the truck on the roll back. With about half an inch to spare before missing it entirely. Gets it strapped down and now it's time to climb into the truck. Only to realize there is only two seats and what I assumed was a filing cabinet in the middle. So I sat on the filing cabinet. And rode with the craziest driver I have ever had the privilege to ride with. He tailgated, he slammed on his brakes at the last second, he checked the weather on his phone, he picked his nose. OH MY GOD, I thought he was going to kill us. The only thing I could think of is, he is going to hit someone and I am going to fly through the windshield and the truck is going to flip over the cab and squash me.

It didn't happen. We made it to the shop in one piece. Well, except my nerves. But alive.

So, my husband and his mechanic buddy talk for a few minutes and we find out he is going to have his wife drive us all the way to our house. Which is not really that far from their house, but she planned on going all the way back to the shop. Which was really cool of them!

Turns out she is about the third or fourth craziest driver I have ever rode with. She is from Chicago and still drives like it! She was super nice and really pleasant to talk with on the way home, but I don't miss the Chicago driving experience. I wasn't keen on living it again with someone I had never rode with. Again, we made it home in one piece, minus a few nerves. And maybe a few more gray hairs after the driving we had to endure in one afternoon.

Finally, we are home and looking forward to relaxing. We sit and talk for a bit and figure we are both wiped out and are ready for bed. Then the fireworks start again. Yay. Time for the next dog freak out. I don't even know what time I got to bed.

I will leave it here for now, as I am still tired and am really hoping that there are no more fireworks. I have had all I can take for this year. I will finish the rest in the next post.

P.S. Supper tonight was salmon patties and potato wedges.

P.P.S. I am thankful that the Fourth of July only comes once a year.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, iffn' ya didn't have bad luck, ya wouldn't have any luck at all... What kinda car do you drive? Usually serpentine belts are fairly easy to put on. Unless, ya have one of those sideways engine foreign cars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did ya disappear? Are you having continuing bad luck?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the disappearance! Not so much continuing bad luck. Well sort of. With the issues my husband had with the dental work and me getting sick, we had a rough week. It took all of last week for us to get caught up it felt like. The truck that broke down is Ford truck. So not some crazy foreign motor, just really bad timing. I haven't even gotten online since my last post. New update today, though.

    ReplyDelete